Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Horror!!!!!!

                                                                             Audition 

There is nothing more profoundly creepy than an innocent looking soft-spoken Japanese girl gone wrong. This movie literally terrified me with its twists and turns, gore and soundtrack. For the first half hour of the film I was, frankly, bored and than it all unraveled before me.  A film with sex, vomit, psychological trauma, physical abuse, deformed humans, family, death and pedophilia, the story became more and more convoluted the more you were able to sit through. The director was great at setting the stage for all of that horror by really making sure you felt like you could understand the father’s life. The shots themselves were often close ups of his face or shots from behind so that we felt like we were actually in the room with him watching what he was doing.  The camera shots from a slight upward angle also made me feel like I was just a fly on the wall witnessing his life. This technique made me feel the suspense even when nothing was actually happening. This is a story that definitely keeps you on your toes.  I had to look away at some parts because they were just so disturbing.  The setting is one that anyone can identify with, as it is a city environment, which is one we all recognize and can imagine well.  The girl herself is portrayed as a very sweet and innocent one, wearing mostly white in her scenes. It isn’t until we find out her past that we see who she truly is. At its core this film is about loneliness and isolation and how we react to extreme amounts of it. The girl continuously leads an unhappy life because she has no one to turn to and is so incredibly lonely and abused. The man’s wife died and he has been lonely ever since.  I love the line in the film, which states, “ All Japanese are lonely”. This statement pretty much sets the tone for the film.  There is also some great foreshadowing in this film with the constant showing of the dog and a line like, “ the unhappy can act well.”  All in all this film was thoroughly disturbing and although I am glad I tried it, as its good to always try new things, it is not an experience I want to repeat anytime soon. I can still imagine her look at the end of the film. It still sends shivers down my spine. 
Well-done Takashi Miike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment