Monday, January 16, 2012

Frankenstein



Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Mary Shelley captivates the reader by writing like one would imagine Dr. Frankenstein would think, in a very manic manner. I like how we hear from the doctor before we hear from the creature and truly gain a better understanding of what he went through because of the Doctor’s neglect. What came to mind when reading this book was one memory, for me, and a feeling I like to classify as “ the dead fish feeling”. Allow me to explain. The dead fish feeling occurred when I was about 7 and was finally entrusted to take care of a pet of my own. So I received 6 fish to look after in my own aquarium. I was so proud of myself. I had worked hard to get them and had prepared for their arrival. When they finally arrived I couldn’t have been happier. A week went by and it was time to clean out the tank. I carefully took them all out and poured new water into the tank. I then immediately put the fish back in. And before I even realized my mistake one by one the fish, being placed in cold water, started dying and floating to the surface. I was disgusted and revolted by this reaction. I started crying because I was so disgusted I couldn’t look at the tank. I could not face them and I hated them for dying. Again I was only 7, but I still recall this feeling that the experience evoked. Frankenstein went through the same thing. He was a child unprepared to take care of another life and so he couldn’t face the monstrosity he was now responsible for.  He had the “dead fish feeling”.  He spends the whole story trying to end it by ending the life of his creation. This story also maintains the key elements that make it a true horror. Such as, the nameless creature, so distorted and inhuman that doesn’t acknowledge it as his to a point where it isn’t even given a name.  Frankenstein has great suspense and chases that keep the reader captivated and curious as to when the monster is going to re appear to cause another horrible event. Yet, one cant help but feel some sympathy for the creature as it was essentially just thrown into the world left to wander and cause destruction with no kind of guidance or compassion. I don’t know what is more interesting, the tale of Frankenstein’s monster, or the fact that we identify better with the monster than we do Frankenstein? 

No comments:

Post a Comment