Monday, January 16, 2012

Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead
I watched Shaun of the Dead because unlike most of the general population I do not like zombie movies, zombie TV shows, or discussing what I would do if there were to suddenly be a zombie apocalypse. I have to be careful who I say this to though as people take my lack of interest very seriously. However, I can get into anything that Simon Pegg does and so I gave it a chance. I loved this movie. I was able to experience all the zombie cliché goodness while still genuinely enjoying the film.  In this movie is of course have the traditional virus spreading through out England affecting suburban neighborhoods and towns alike and a group of friends trying to survive it.  With the perfect amount of humor and mockery this film delivers just as much gore as you would expect to see in your typical zombie film.  Because zombies are thoughtless creatures who just want to consume your flesh there is no sympathy for this monster and all that remains is the overwhelming desire to destroy its brain and run away. That is probably why zombie films don’t usually do anything for me, as the monster is not a real monster, it’s just a reanimated corpse with no real thoughts. For me I need a monster that has more of a story to them and is in general a more rounded character. Zombie films play mostly off of fear for fears sake. Who wouldn’t be afraid of being consumed by a heard of undead civilians only to become one yourself? And maybe I am not giving zombies enough credit. I am repulsed by them and isn’t that the general idea? The “angry village people” or mob in this type of film are the zombies themselves and are just as good at generating widespread panic. The suspense in this type of film lies with wondering which members of the group will survive the attack. It is typically the main protagonist and their male or female counterpart that come out of it all unscathed as Shaun of the Dead demonstrates. All in all wonderfully done film with very good scenes with gore, comedy, action and anything you could ask for in an undead film. As for me, zombie lover or not I truly enjoyed watching this movie. And who knows, maybe one day I will get bitten by the zombie craze. 


No comments:

Post a Comment